Thursday, June 27, 2013

Milky Shards

We made it almost 200 miles away from the county. We didn't know which direction to turn. I wanted to go towards St. Louis while Blood wanted to go towards Chicago. I decided to do what she wanted to not piss her off. Also, she got really sick all of a sudden.

About 100 miles out she had to stop and throw up into a garbage can next to a Sunoco. She's running a high fever and we have to stop every ten miles or so because she's so sick. And apparently there's painful cramps as the muscles in her legs and feet are visibly knotting up. It's still going on and I'm worried and I have no idea what to do... but that's not what I'm going to talk about.

What I'm going to talk about is what I saw when I got to Chicago.

We're basically staying under a bridge in Chicago, surprisingly well populated with homeless people, and about ten miles from the Belvidere Oasis, basically a small mall of restaurants and tourist stores suspended over the highway which has food and gas. Sadly I can't use my credit cards anymore, but I'm about to get to that.

But the first thing I need to talk about is the McDonalds incident. We walked in because- at this point- we were too near the city to make a fire and we were running low on canned food as it is. We walked past the friendly statue of Ronald McDonalds, up a row of all empty booth seats and to the purple-and-green counter. I don't know why I remember everything up to the color of the booth, I guess... you notice more when you're just staving off death.

I ordered a small hamburger and some fries and a Coke and Blood just ordered some fries and an orange juice. Blood said she was feeling sick again, so she went over to the other end of the restaurant and into the ladies' restroom. I paid the eight ninety-five for the meal and walked over to a booth. It wasn't for a full five seconds after sitting that I noticed the statue of Ronald McDonald was gone.

I jumped up and ran over towards the two restroom doors opposite each other and kicked open the ladies' restroom door. Other women lay sprawled and crushed on the floor as a giant statue of Ronald McDonald was trying to choke Blood to death in front of the sink. Blood was trying in vain to hurt the mannequin, and she did manage to bash it in the head with the sink and mirror itself. I also tried prying the statue off of her and only succeeded when it backed up into a pool of blood from one of the other dead bodies. I took the pistol out of the concealed holster and fired three times into its chest at close range.

It wasn't made of the same material as the other mannequins and it broke open and caved in. Blood then rushed in and used the same tactic she used on the blank mannequin- stomping on its chest until it was unable to move.

We nervously walked out as the cashier and manager both yelled and chased after us.

I can't use my credit card because now the police think that one or both of us was responsible for murder, theft, and- of all things- vandalizing their beloved clown mascot. We also can't use the car anymore as it was found at the scene and we have to stay hidden for a good long while and probably dine with the homeless until it's safe enough or until the police start rooting through the underpasses.

Jesus, how did my life get to this?

No comments:

Post a Comment